Cloud based computing is generally regarded as internet based uses but the concept regarding it is in a dynamic state which is constantly evolving. Simply put, cloud computing is the distribution of computing services over the Internet. Cloud computing means storing and accessing data programs, services by using the Internet instead of using ones computer’s hard drive. It is an Internet-based computing system which offers shared processing resources and data to computers and other devices through internet on demand.Cloud is not just a latest term for the Internet although the Internet is the necessary foundation for the cloud but cloud is something more than the Internet. This technology permits for much more efficient computing by utilizing and centralizing data storage, processing and bandwidth.
There are different types of clouds:
- Public Cloud – public cloud can be accessed by any subscriber via internet connection
- Private Cloud – private cloud is established for a specific group or organization. It is limited to those particular groups.
- Community Cloud –It is a shared cloud. It is shared among two or more organizations which have similar cloud requirements.
- Hybrid Cloud – combination of at least two clouds, this cloudis a mixture of public, private, or community.
Characteristics of Cloud
- On-demand self-service:
- Resource pooling:
- Rapid elasticity:.
- Shared Infrastructure :
- Network Access:
- Broad network access:
The cloud services can be categorized into 3 types:
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
It is the most basic cloud servicing model. Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) is a way of delivering Cloud Computing infrastructure on demand. Instead of purchasing servers, software, datacenter space or network equipment, users buy those resources as a fully outsourced service.
It offer a service to get a virtual server in few minute and pay only the resource of its using. It allow accessibility to the infrastructure using Internet. It can be tied together with managed services to operate system and application support. IaaS models focus on enable technologies.
IaaS can be opted as public or private infrastructure or a combination of both.
Private Cloud :IaaS cloud on a private network devoted for a enterprises or a group of enterprises deployed inside the firewall of them. Private Cloud is considered as the most secured one
Public Cloud : This service deployed over the internet for general public to enterprises to pay and use the service.
Hybrid Cloud: A combination of both ; private cloud and public cloud in an organization.
IaaS is a swiftly growing field. That said there are some core characteristics, which explain what IaaS is.
- Resources are provided as a service
- Allows for dynamic scaling and elasticity
- Has a variable cost, usage based pricing model (pay per go and pay per use)
- Has multi-tenet architecture which means multiple users on a single portion of hardware
- IaaSgenerally has enterprise grade infrastructure
In this cloud service user patches and maintains the operating systems and the application software.
It is a type of cloud computing that provides a platform and environment to let developers build applications and services through the internet. Here, a layer of software with development environment is offered as a service basing upon which other higher services can be made.
Platform as a Service (PaaS) creates the benefits that SaaS brought for applications, in to the world of software development. The essence of a PaaS system is that the cloud service provider takes accountability for the configuration , installation and operation of the application infrastructure and leaving only the application code for the use of the cloud service customer.
It allows the creation of web applications quickly and effortlessly
- It provides Services to develop, test, deploy, host and maintain applications in the equivalent integrated development environment. All the varying services which are essential to satisfy the application development.
- It has multi-tenant architecture. A PaaS offering should be designed multi-tenanted, multi-tenant platform uses common computing resources involving hardware, operating system, software and a single underlying database with a shared outline to support multiple customers simultaneously
- Supports binding and unbinding from compassable multi-tenant services. This binding can be obvious as it is with some of the container-based PaaS or imbedded through the use of APIs.
- Provides means for monitoring and ensuring the health and status of the platform and its services.
- PaaS provides a flexible integration model enabled through both SOAP and REST API calls.
- Web based user interface creation tools provided by the PaaS help to create, modify, test UI scenarios .
- It deals with Flexible “services-enabled” integration model , Which helps in the Integration with web services and databases via common standards
- A cloud platform must offer a business-logic engine, which must supports, the definition of workflow processes and the specification of business rules to stimulate process computerization.
In summary PaaS offers the architecture as well as the whole infrastructure to support application development. It includes networking, storage, software-support, development and management services. Therefore it is ideal for the development of latest new applications that are intended for the web and as well as suited for mobile devices and PCs.
It is an Application Layer.It is represented as anon demand software. These are the applications that you run-through the web which is not located in your premises .It is a full-scale application, not a component part. SaaS uses the net to deliver applications that are managed by a third parties. It represents the largest cloud market and are still blooming quickly.
- SaaS allows the access and use of commercially available software via an internet connection
- Software is managed from a central location
- It provides commercially available software
- Application Programming Interfaces allow for integration in between pieces of software
Benefits of cloud computing:
- Access from innumerable options
- Scalability and Flexibility
- It is Cheap! : low cost always bring smile
- Almost Unlimited Storage
- Data Centralization
- Data Recovery
- Unique Sharing Capabilities
- Easy Access to Information
- Quick Deployment